Sunday 11 March 2012

What is amigurumi?


Amigurumi started off like most things in Japan. It is small (plush) toys/dolls that you can make, I make many amigurumi bits and bobs and I will put some pictures of my bits up here too. I crochet and knit and to be truthful it is so easy!! I wish I had learnt years ago. I’ve been knitting since I was a kid so crochet was just the next step. Now for those of you who knit I will say this...crochet is easier than knitting, it works up faster and you can make many more shapes so I surest you give it a go! You won’t regret it!


So I have now been crocheting for about 3 years and in that time I have made everything, from apples, to cherries, from pigs to monkeys, anything and everything you can think of, I'm even making a pair of boobies for someone special I know. I will be putting up a photo of them when they are both complete!

If you do a search for stuffed knitted or crochet toys, you will keep seeing the word amigurumi. Amigurumi. Do you know what it means? Technically, Amigurumi is "the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small animals or toys". I read that the word amigurumi originally only referred to crocheted critters but over time knitters have created their own amigurumi patterns so now we have toasters and dolls and pencils and snakes. Amigurumi can be anything you can think of.
Most of the pictures I got off google and I don't know where they came from sorry, but the mouse came from here  :  http://www.demonstrativebears.com/2010/04/07/nibbles-tiny-amigurumi-mouse/comment-page-1/#comment-2684

Enjoy
Rachie Roo
O.o

















2 comments:

  1. Adorable! I wish I knew how to crochet properly or at least read a crochet pattern, these are cuties. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should learn! you wont regret it! look online and have a look at ravelry.com

      Delete